Namaste in Shangri-La
Hike & Yoga in the Mt. San Jacinto Wilderness
Open to all levels from first timer to advanced. Join us on an adventure of fun, body awareness, and celebration in the San Jacinto State Park Wilderness. We’ll take the 10:00am Palm Springs Tram up to the trailhead (8,500 feet elevation) and hike into one of our favorite spots near Long Valley. Following a lite snack at one of the dramatic desert valley overlooks, we’ll take a brief off-trail route through some boulders to a relatively remote section of the forest and settle onto our mats in the shade. Our 90 minutes yoga and meditation workshop will be led by Karen Salgado. Karen is one of the Desert’s most popular, renowned and highly respected yoga instructors. We anticipate being back at Mtn Station by 2:00pm where we can mingle in the visitor center, socialize, grab a bite or drink at the café, or take the tram back down to our cars.
Tickets for the Tram: $25.95 Adult $23.95 Senior. Summer and Annual passes available. $5 parking fee waived for pass holders and local residents, show ID. Our tram departure is 10 AM.
Note: The 10:00am tram often sells out in the summer season– make sure to reserve your spot now. Purchase tickets here: Palm Springs Tram Tickets
What you need to bring - essentials:
- Hiking attire (appropriate and comfortable for yoga postures)
- Hiking shoes
- Sun protection (hat, sunglasses, sun crème)
- Yoga matt
- Yoga sling in case your matt does not fit inside your knapsack
- 5X7 weather resistant tarp (your yoga mat will go onto of your tarp, this way you not bothered by dirt, pine needles, pebbles, the occasional ant, etc.) **
- Lite lunch/snacks and water (minimum 1 liter)
- Your pre-paid tram ticket
Note: Open toe shoes, sandals, water shoes, etc. are not allowed
** Recommend tarp to use: 5 ½ by 7 ½ tarp – sold at Harbor Freight (located next to Cardenas on Date Palm in Cathedral City
· To prepare your yoga spot on the forest floor
- Lightweight canvas work gloves or gardening gloves
- Moist handwipes to clean your hands
· For final relaxation and meditation
- Eye pillow
- Long sleeve shirt, socks, beach towel or blanket (these items to keep you warm in case of cool breeze)
· If you are overly sensitive to gnats (flying bugs)
- Bug spray
- Mosquito net
Start time: 9:30am at the departure area, Palm Springs Tram. We’ll take the 10:00am tram
- Duration: about five hours – we can be back in our cars by 2pm – or later
- Maximum group size: 15
- Hiking distance: 2 miles
NOTE: Although this is an easy hike distance wise, we will be going off-trail, and, for a brief stretch, we’ll be scrambling around, up and over some boulders. You need to be comfortable using your hands and feet.
- Open-toe shoes of any kind are not allowed
- Pace: Gentle
- Difficulty: Moderate
- No dogs
Contact Hike Leader: Mike Seay firstname.lastname@example.org
Space is limited. Please register to reserve a spot, sign the electronic waiver, and receive any last-minute updates.
Weather: Expect temperature 30 degrees cooler that the valley.
Rain will cancel
Map Locations: Palm Springs Tramway Parking
Health Problems/allergies: Discuss any medical concerns with the hike leader that may affect your ability to complete the hike.