Devil’s Slide and Skunk Cabbage Meadow
- Meet at Hunter’s: 7:50 am (302 E. Arenas Rd, Palm Springs)
- Start time: 9:00am, Humber Park trailhead (near Idyllwild)
- Duration: 3 – 5 hours, depending on the group
- Distance: 7.5 miles
- Pace: Moderate
- Difficulty: Moderate +
- Total elevation gain: 1,800 feet.
- Starting point: Humber park trailhead: 6,400 ft
- Highest point: Skunk Cabbage Meadow: 8,200 ft.
- Terrain: dirt trail, steep in some spots
Starting at Humber Park, near Idyllwild, we climb a series of moderately challenging switchbacks that are famously known as the Devil’s Slide up to Sadde Junction. This ascent on a well-maintained dirt trail is about 2.50 miles with an elevation gain of 1,700 feet from the parking lot to the saddle. Once at Saddle Junction, the trail flattens out and we continue for another mile into Skunk Cabbage Meadow where we’ll find a lunch spot along Willow Creek, a year-round stream. After lunch and rest we’ll descent back down to the cars.
After the hike, those interested can re-assemble in nearby Idyllwild for snacks and coffee in the village before we return to Palm Springs.
- Hiking boots only – no tennis shoes
- Trekking poles are recommended
- Knapsacks with 2 liters of water (minimum) and your lunch + snacks
- Sun protection and layered clothing are recommended.
- Carry your Carry Emergency Contact Information (ICE).
- No dogs
This is a moderate+ hike
Parking at Humber Park parking lot: Adventure Pass required
Leader: Mike Seay Email Contact
Health problems/allergies: Discuss any medical concerns with the hike leader BEFORE you arrive at the trailhead.
Weather Policy: Inclement weather cancels
Health Problems/allergies: Discuss any medical concerns with the leader that may affect your ability to complete the hike.