- Length: 5.5 miles.
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Elev. Gain/(Loss): (-1,000')
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Route: Established trail
- One way with car shuttle
- Meet at 8:00 AM
- Location: Hunters on Arenas (Map location)
This hike was originally scheduled for Thursday May 4 but was rescheduled to this date due to hot weather.
We'll carpool to a spot off of Indian Canyon, drop a few cars and then head for the Big Morongo Canyon Preserve in Morongo Valley and hike down the canyon.
- Ten Essentials (click here), water (2 to 3 liters recommended), lunch and snacks.
- Sun Protection and layered clothing
- Carry Emergency Contact Information (ICE).
- Sturdy hiking footwear with good tread and adequate drinking water are required.
- No dogs allowed
Hike Leader John N. contact
The trail enters a lush riparian oasis, elevation: 2600', then plunges through the wide, stream-fed wash of Big Morongo Canyon to northeast of Desert Hot Springs. Geological faults and steep canyon walls, and historical points of interest add to the variety of interesting features of this hike.
Due to its location within this transition zone, the area is especially high in natural diversity. The natural spring fed desert oasis is one of the 10 largest Cottonwood and Willow riparian habitats in California.
Big Morongo Canyon Preserve - click here.
Photos prior hike
Registration required to acknowledge waiver electronically